Thursday, May 8, 2008

Of Bees and Trickery

There is a bee hive in my back yard. It is just sitting on the ground minding its own business. The bees are in one large cluster that seems to move periodically from one spot of the yard to another. They appeared here today, and I have no idea where they came from. I wonder if this is what happens to those bees that are disappearing across the country... they just up and decide to leave, to become nomadic bees. Well, I wish they would migrate away from my yard. They are wholely less welcome than the usual visitor to my yard who I affectionately refer to as, "the cat." The last short-term visitor to my backyard was a cluster of birthday balloons which probably floated away from some kid. I gave those balloon's to Dan's friend Dan. I wish I could do the same with these bees.

I did learn something about bees though. If you try to convince them to leave by tossing water out the window at them, they are both not convinced to leave, and tricked into thinking it is raining. So now I know how to fool bees, check off that item on the things I wanted to figure out in my life. Right now the bees are crawling on the ground, not flying, because they think it is raining. I suppose this means that they are that much less likely to get up and fly away. Lesson learned, water does not convince bees to leave. But, if I ever need to walk through a mess of flying bees, I know to spray them down with water to trick them into landing.

Patrick, I know you aren't reading this, but that info will save your life one day.

I really love not having a TV. I can watch all the important shows on my laptop thanks to the wonders of the internet, and I am not tempted by the prospect of turning it on and listening to it. I have music for that, no need to have the TV on. And I am infinitely more productive when I don't have a TV, which makes me feel better.

No comments: