Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bee Wars 3, The Revenge of the Sarcophagus

I woke up this morn, and to my eyes, what did appear? Why, a colony of bees uncovered, oh dear!
No longer the Sarcophagus covered, my dearest bee friends, who could hover.
The tub was overturned, was lifting a skill the bees had learned?
No, twas a neighbor who free the bees, man I wish I had my teas.
But, hark, what beist this? The bees had meet the death of kiss.
In piles upon piles they lay, lifeless and cold, in May.
Yes, they no longer menace my yard, but it is unfortunate that they are so marred.
Now the ants have a field day, fiesting upon the corpses of their insect brethren where they lay.
Hundred upon hundred lay still, in a tub shaped depression that I will fill.
A sultry grave for a colony, just like that guy Ptolemy.

That poem-esque rambling is in memory of the colony of bees whose genocide I had a hand in. I do feel guilty that I had to dispatch them, but they had sharp ends on their butts that made me scared to walk to my door. And the hovering... oh the hovering. So unpleasant.

In other news, my sublet is up in two weeks, and I still don't have a place to live after that. But, I am hopeful. Worst case scenario, I would have to spend a couple weeks with my brother.

Here is some food for thought for the estimated 4 of you who read this:
Gandhi's 7 Social Sins
Politics without Principle
Wealth without Work
Commerce without Morality
Pleasure without Conscience
Education without Character
Science without Humanity
Worship without Sacrafice

to that I would add these two:
Work without Community
Priorities without People

Priorities without people, is my way of saying that our priorities should always be each other.
So why do I feel guilty about the bees? I was placing the safety of my neighbor and myself over the lives of those bees, placing people at the top of my priority list. Well, maybe a simple saying like the one I wrote above does not take in the whole complexity of the world. I wish there had been a way where they could have lived.
I can even get a ends and means lesson out of this one. The end may be that the bees are no longer a menace. That was my primary goal. But the means we used produced unwanted consequences... feelings of guilt, regret and sadness. A smelly pile of dead bees covered in ants. On the macro level, fewer honey bees to pollenate the plants that make the food we eat. All this stems from the wrong means. I don't know what the right means would have been... maybe contacting a nearby bee farm and trying to sell the bees to them, or atleast get them to cart them away. Yes, that would have been a better outcome. Maybe if I had put in alittle more effort this sad outcome would not have happened. Yet another life lesson from my banal existence. (Footnote: I learned the word "banal" during SAT prep. Well, it might not have been entirely useless. It allowed me to use overly educated language on a low-traffic blog. Yay!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Will, I hope you are counting me among the estimated 4 who read your blog....I may read well after the posting date, but I do read and so much enjoy the sound of your William thoughts!
As it turns out, tomorrow I must do away with a huge nest of yellow jackets outside my back door, so I really appreciated this posting.
db