Sunday, July 6, 2008

Updates

So, it seems that Blogger posts a post under the date it was started and not under the date it was published, which is pretty cool. The last post I finally got around to posting in July, but the program says it was posted in May. An interesting thing, that.

So, here is an update. I moved from Berkeley to El Cerrito, which is about three miles north of Berkeley. I commute every day on BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit), a wonderful train system, every day. I am quite happy to be a patron of BART, I not only get a good service out of it, I feel good about giving my money to public transit. Public transit needs more help than ever now, and I intend to do my part.

Let see, I also went to my cousin's wedding in early June. Congrats Rich and Kelly! It was a great time, and only the second time that all of my cousins (on that side of the family), my brother and I were together. Good times. A week after that i had the privilege to go to the Beyt Tikkun Annual Retreat in Marin county. It was at a lovely place called Walter Creek Ranch, which is a picturesque camp-like place. Complete with rolling grassy hills, wildlife and a pond. It was nice to be out of the city, even if for a short period of time. It reminded me of Kentucky.

The following two weekends after that I worked and socialized, and built my bedframe. I just finished that bedframe after about a month of on and off work. I spent most of Saturday and Sunday morning finishing it up. It is stable and everything I was hoping. I am glad my rudimentrary carpentry skills did not fail me. I built it for approximately 4 dollars, which was the cost of two 2x4s that I bought to make up the long sides of the bedframe. I had been unable to procure a pair of 2x4s like them from the local dumpsters. Much cheaper than 150 dollars for a pre-made bedframe. Plus I get the satisfaction of knowing I built it with my own hands and I kept a fair amount of lumber and screws out of a landfill by reusing them. I really do enjoy living my life as close to my ideals of reusing and repairing as possible. It cuts down on waste and gives me a good feeling.

So now I feel like I have just caught up on a month's worth of work backlog, which is a great feeling. I have some catch-up to do in terms of blog posting, which I will hopefully get to in the next week. Alot of ideas have been percolating in my head, and I hope I will be able to get them down.

No comments: