Thursday, July 31, 2008

Update

I am still falling behind on my one post a week pledge.  I wanted to write about 3 more this month, but things happened and I didn't devote the time to it.  There is always next month.  
I do have alot to write about, though.  But... I still posted more recently than Bucky.  
For the past two weeks I have been extremely busy with both the sds National Convention and at the Tikkun office, as well as reading an excellent book on Jesus and nonviolence.  More to come on that later.  
But most interestingly of all, I have started studying for the LSAT and I have decided to try to go to law school.  The way I figure it, law school will help me understand the law and what I can do with it to change society.  Given my lifelong goals of making the world a better place, I figure knowing the law will allow me to combine my organizing and activist knowledge and outlook with a sense of how to push for change both inside and outside the system.  Knowing law will also allow me to use the legal system to my advantage when waging change.  So that is my reasoning. 
Now comes the inevitable turmoil of finding a school, going back to school, and settling in a new location.  I do not particularly look forward to being back in school, although the thought of going to regular sds meetings is sooooooo alluring.  I was never a fan of homework, or excessive reading, and I feel that law school will have alot of that.  But it will feel much more useful, I believe, than the reading that I had to do for school in the past.  
I am settling into living in El Cerrito.  It is really a lovely town, and I love my commute.  walking for 15 minutes, and riding the train.  I love supporting public transportation.  My job is going well, and I feel capable and productive from it.  Things are definitely going my way.  

No comments: