Sunday, December 30, 2007

Protesting Attire

I will try to post a couple times in the next week to keep my average at around 1 a week. I cant let bucky show me up with his posting rate.

I was surfing the internet and found a cool experiment that a couple of people preformed concerning dressing up for protests. Blogger doesnt seem to want to publish my link... the article is called "Protesting in Professional Attire: A Follow-Up." just google that and it will be one of the first few. it is on theseminal.com

Having dressed up for some protests, I believe that it is quite effective. People generally take you more seriously when you play to their stereotypes of serious people. Part of me wishes it wasnt so, and that everyone would be taken equally seriously when they are presenting their concerns. But if I can do something as simple as put on professional attire to make people take me seriously, I will certainly do so. Using symbols like that to one's advantage is an essential component to navigating the treacherous waters of the political and cultural landscape. Symbols have a power all their own, and they can be used to effectively bring certain topics to mind when the public is viewing a political activity.
For example, if I had been organizing the Port of Tacoma blockade, i think it would have worked better to dress up like American Revolutionary soldiers... and have old-timey flags and drums and such. That would evoke a very interesting dynamic in the minds of the viewing public. It would associate the blockade with the American struggle for freedom that most Americans associate with. It would give the impression that the blockaders were opposing something similar to the British tyranny that America rebelled against.
Dressing this way would also throw off the police who are trying to prevent/break-up the blockade. It is much harder for an American police officer to attack a group of people sporting the symbols they grew up associating with the goodness of their country, than it is for them to attack a group of people sporting no particular symbols, or symbols that the officer has associated with trouble (like certain types of clothing, chants, flags, and other typical peace movement symbols).

Anyway. Things have been good with me lately. I had some annoying flying adventures before the holidays, including almost having to spend the night in George H.W. Bush airport. But it has been really nice to see my family. I am preparing for more job application things, and thinking about what my future will hold. I have started reading "The Left Hand of God" by Michael Lerner, which has been a very excellent read so far.

No comments: